At the crossroads of painting, drawing, sculpture, printing techniques and collage, Pierre Julien explores the possibilities of matter and form by using various mediums : acrylic, plaster, stucco, spray paint, pastel… There is also a very sensual and vibrant feeling in his recent paintings, the layers of stucco and plaster on the wooden panels reproducing the effects of velvet and ground, sand and craters. Pierre Julien has always devoted himself to abstraction, less as a dissolution of the real or the figurative than as the construction of a fictitious space. For him, abstraction is not the result of a strictly formal research, but rather an encounter between various elements, a dynamic and relational research, a search for the beauty of colors and forms. In his recent series, Pastel Tiger, Julien focuses on the aspects of light by using lighly infused acrylic pastel pigments mixed with plaster, that he applies on large wood panels. Julien plays with colors and the human perception of light and contrast in order to lose his spectators’ eyes in giant pastel coloured fields which seem to extend beyond the borders of his paintings.
Born in Hawkesbury (ON), Pierre Julien lives and works in Montreal (QC). Holding a bachelor in Studio Arts from the Concordia University in Montréal, his works has been shown in Montréal (QC), Toronto (ON), Los Angeles (CA) and Houston (TX). His pieces has be featured in the travelling exhibition Grâce au dessin, presented in Burbank (CA) and Montreal in 2018. His work in included in many prestigious collections, including the Deloitte collection, TD Bank Collection (ON), Loto-Québec collection (QC) and the city of Longueuil collection (QC).
2007 - BFA, Studio Art, Concordia University, Montréal (QC)
GRANTS AND DISTINCTIONS
2015 - Research and Creation Grant, Conseil des arts et des lettres du Québec
TD Bank Art Collection
City of Longueuil
+ Solo Exhibitions
- In The Deepest Oceans, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Purple Haze, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Arpentage, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Mise en Plis, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Cadastres, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Prismatic Spay, Galerie Division, Montréal (QC)
- Avec la permission de l’ordinaire, Galerie Room and Board (QC)
+ Group Exhibitions
- Grâce au dessin, part 1, curator: Jason McKechnie, Nan Rae Gallery, Burbank, CA, USA
- Grâce au dessin, part 2, curator: Jason McKechnie, Art Mûr, Montréal (QC)
- Duo show with Tristram Lansdowne, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- En marge, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Le temps de l'œuvre, le temps du travail, The Time of the Work, curated by Nicolas Grenier, Galerie Leonard & Bina Ellen, Montréal (QC)
- Cash Machine, curated by Aaron Freshour, Dan Monick, Delia Sweeney & Pascale Georgiev, Fathersons, Los Angeles (USA)
- Fabrications, curated by Benjamin Klein, Pop-up show, Montréal (QC)
- Forgotten Luxury & Ideal Aesthetics, Galerie Youn, Montréal (QC)
- Avant-Goût, Galerie Nicolas Robert, Montréal (QC)
- Question de principe, Matter of Principal, curated by Annie Hémond-Hotte and Nicolas Grenier, Galerie Art Mûr, Montréal (QC)
- Voices of Fire : Toward a Post Postmodern Theory of Abstraction, curated by Benjamin Klein, Galerie SAS, Montréal (QC)
- EKO/ECHO, Galerie du Viaduc, Montréal (QC)
- Prismatic Spray, Galerie Division, Montréal (QC)
- Avec la Permission de l’Ordinaire, Galerie Room and Board, Montréal (QC)
- Our Aim is true, Undergraduate Student Show, Galerie FOFA, Montréal (QC)
- Concordia University Painting and Drawing Dept Show, Galerie Art Mûr, Montréal (QC)
- ACTE II (duo show with Annie Hémond-Hotte), Art Mûr, Montréal (QC)
- La Hiérarchie des besoins, Galerie VAV, Montréal (QC)
- Concordia University Painting and Drawing Dept Show, VAV Gallery, Montréal (QC)
- Raw Hide (Student work from Concordia’s Painting and Drawing Department), Cégep du Vieux-Montréal, Montréal (QC)
+ Press and Publications
- BILL, Clarke, Gabrielle PROVOST (2014). « Arpentage », Exhibition Catalog at Galerie Nicolas Robert.
- UN SHOW DE MOT’ARTS (2012). «Pierre Julien « Cadastres » @ Nicolas Robert», Un show de Mot’Arts, [Online], published May 9.
- DELGADO, Jérôme (2011). « Peintures enflammées », Le Devoir, [Online], published April 2nd, https://bit.ly/2XkGAYU.
- POHL, John (2011). « Signs of Life Among the Dying », La Gazette, published April 2nd.
- SKEENE, Cameron (2011). « Voices of Fire: Toward a Post Postmodern Theory of Abstraction », Border Crossings, no. 119, p.144.